Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Little Red and her Wolfe

I'm getting married!
Photo credit: Treasures of Light
Mr. Wolfe popped the question on Christmas Day - five months ago. We're getting married in a little more than three months. Time flies. ♥

For Christmas, I made my dear a wolf hat and began work on a warm red hooded cowl for myself - the idea being, of course, that the two of us would have fairy-tale themed winter wear.
And in our fairy tale, Little Red becomes a wolf.

It's a little sad to say.... I just finished my red hood - too late to wear this winter, but not too late for you to start on one of these projects and finish it easily in time to keep cozy in the colder months! (If you are like me, you'll need to start now; if you stay focused on one project until you finish it, these should take you the equivalent of a few movies).


I modified Faye Newport's Future of Forestry Hat to make the wolf hat. It's a simple square-shaped knit hat.
The pattern uses four double-pointed needles; I used a circular needle (because that's what I had for US 10 needles). Because Mr. Wolfe has rather a large head (because he is a man and because he just does), I made the hat slightly larger than the pattern (cast on 80 stitches). Then, in Row 3 of the pattern, I knit 7, purl 1 around. To give it a fuzzy, matted-fur look, I used Yarn Bee Boucle Traditions Brushed in Salt & Pepper.
I think it turned out well, and he wears it all the time. Isn't he handsome?
Photo credit: Treasures of Light

Little Red

For my red riding hood, I modified and combined the Petite Purls pattern, Capuchon, and Donna Rutledge-Okoro's Oruaka Cowl to make a cowl with a "riding" hood.
I used Premier Yarns Serenity
Chunky in Red Ochre.
I made only the hood for the Capuchon cape. The pattern calls for a 10 ply yarn and size 10.5 circular needle, but since it makes a child's size, I used a 12 ply yarn and size 11 (8.00 mm) needle to ensure a larger finished size. Since I didn't make the cape, I simply cast on 46 stitches before working the set up row as described. I also knit the hood in a garter stitch instead of stockinette.
If I had a do-over, I would have also doubled the width of the seed stitch border because I love the puffy checkerboard pattern it creates!
finished hood
Then I made the Oruaka Cowl. Again, the yarn is a bit bulkier than the pattern calls for, and I used a size N (9.00mm) hook instead of the J (6.00 mm), so I had to adjust a little bit. I used the N because it's the closest size hook I have to the 8.00 mm needle I used to make the hood; I won't buy anything new if something old will do the trick.
I used a slip stitch to attach the hood to the cowl before fastening off. Sadly, I haven't added buttons yet, but as soon as I find exactly the buttons I want, I will let you all know!
I love the bright warmth of my new hood (can't wait until winter to wear it)! ♥
He scared me.
Photo credit: Treasures of Light
Hope you have a fantastic week, all!

♥ Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment